In 1916 Mr. James Hooper took a sunday afternoon stroll across south fort rouge and found there were a large number of children in the area without a Sunday School to attend. A meeting was called between members of three churches in the area, Crescent Congregational, Fort Rouge Methodist and Augustine Presbyterian. As a result of this meeting a nearby abandoned store on what is now Arbuthnot street near the corner of Scotland avenue became Sunshine Hall.
Over the years the congregation grew and a need was evident for a larger location. At a meeting of the congregation on April 27, 1948, a decision was made to purchase the current Mulvey and Harrow property as a new site for the church. After construction was completed on the new church, the old building was moved to the same site and is now used as the Christian Education Building.
Fast forward to the present day, and Harrow United Church is still a place where children and youth go to grow and play. Constantly looking for ways to help make a difference in the community, the growing congregation holds several outreach events throughout the year and posts regular happenings on their website. The large hall and kitchen are available for rental for major life events. Caring for the members of the congregation, and sharing in their journey, has made Harrow United Church a welcome place for the people and families who call the Crescentwood neighborhood home.